Approach to Rifle Garfield County Airport
SmartRunway® and SmartLanding® provides the alerts you need to approach the most challenging airports with confidence.
Landing an airliner or business jet full of passengers is a huge responsibility, especially when you’re faced with adverse conditions like turbulence, brutal crosswinds, mountainous terrain and busy airspaces.
Airline pilots flying into popular destinations like San Francisco, USA, Dublin, Ireland and Melbourne, Australia, often have difficult approaches because of their complex airspace. San Francisco International Airport is one of the more demanding for both domestic and international traffic, so pilots must negotiate multiple closely spaced parallel runways with many jets landing in quick succession. Dublin International, has shorter runways and multiple speed restrictions and high intensity runway operations for pilots to follow. And flying into Melbourne International, requires navigating noise sensitive areas using complex arrivals with mandatory speed restrictions to approach the runway.
And business jet pilots aren't immune either! Your passengers’ most popular destinations have the most stressful landing and takeoff conditions. London City Airport, London, UK, and Orange County Airport in Santa Ana, California, Rifle Garfield County Airport in Colorado and Bert Mooney Airport in Butte, Montana, have challenges like short runways, limited airspace with dense traffic, box canyons, high density altitude, noise restrictions and extreme weather conditions – some nasty combinations. Landing complexity for sure.
There is a better approach with SmartRunway and SmartLanding
The next evolution of Honeywell’s Runway Awareness and Advisory System - RAAS, SmartRunway and SmartLanding are software options for the Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System (EGPWS) which increase flight crew situational awareness during taxi, take-off and landing.
Another key feature of SmartRunway and SmartLanding is the addition of visual messaging to the capabilities of RAAS, providing pilots with timely information and a quieter cockpit environment.
Key benefits of SmartRunway and SmartLanding include:
- Increases runway situational awareness and more stabilized approaches
- Improved decision support on costly go around events
- Tighten landing accuracy within the desired runway touchdown zone
- Decreases the risk of runway incursions and excursions
- Supports ‘heads-up’ operations with aural advisories
- Supports ‘quiet’ cockpits with visual advisories
- Configurable to fit operating environment requirements
- Inhibit switches are optional
- Certified for most Airbus and Boeing aircraft, as well as numerous business aviation platforms, including aircraft with Primus 1000 / 2000 avionics
- Simple software installation – aircraft doesn’t require Honeywell avionics for RAAS, SmartRunway or SmartLanding, but must have an EGPWS MK V, MK V-A, MK VII installed. (Note: Only RAAS is available on Primus Epic-equipped aircraft.)
Contact Honeywell at the link below or your authorized Honeywell dealer to determine if a supplemental type certificate (STC) or service bulletin exists for your aircraft.